02 August 2005

How Big Is Yours?

I was watching tv this evening, and for once it was something that wasn't DVRed so I couldn't skip the commercials.
So then that commercial with the spelling bee comes on. (I think it's for Geico™©® or some other insurance company. You can never tell these days. Commercials never tell you what they're actually advertising anymore.)
Anyway, the word comes up on the screen:
floccinaucinihilipilification
I realize that I know how to correctly pronounce the word (unlike the man on the screen), but I have no idea what it means.
So I looked it up.
It was derived from four Latin words flocci, nauci, nihili, and pili which all mean "of little or no value." And the -fication just makes it a noun. So "to floccinaucinihilipilificate" is just a verbose way to say "talkin' shit."

Thus begins my evening's quest:
To find the longest word!

Apparently, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious is a real word.
Neat.
Made up words from movies can become real words.
I still know two words that are longer.

In third grade, I learned the word pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.
It's the scientific name for the "black lung" disease that seems to be exclusively found in coal miners, but not their daughters, so Sissy Spacek is safe.
*whew* We can all breathe a sigh of relief now!
It's the longest known disease name.
"Some people" say disease names don't count for the longest word designation, though.
I won't listen to "some people," or "they" either.
But I still know a longer word.

In fourth grade (hey, I'm a yankee, we have really good schools up there), I learned about Lake Webster. It's in Webster, MA, right near the border of CT and RI. It's also known by its Indian name:
Lake Chargoggagoggmanchaugagoggchaubunagungamaugg
It's a Nipmuc Indian name that means "You fish on your side of the lake; I fish on my side; no one fishes the middle."
This is the sort of useless information that fills my head.
I learned how to spell that word when I was 8, and I haven't forgotten it.

But tonight I came across a few others that were even longer.
A village in Wales called:
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
This Welsh town actually exists and its name translates as "The church of St. Mary in the hollow of white hazel trees near the rapid whirlpool by St. Tysilio's of the red cave."
Neat.
I actually heard of this place once, I think it was on Ripley's Believe It or Not, but because I never learned how to properly pronounce it, it slipped out of my memory over time.
Also in Wales:
Gorsafawddachaidraigodanheddogleddollonpenrhynareurdraethceredigion
It's a railway station so named purely as an attempt to get into the Guinness Book of World Records.
To no avail.
Because there's village in New Zealand called:
Tetaumatawhakatangihangakoauaotamateaurehaeaturi-pukapihimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuaakitanarahu
It's 92 letters long, and this place holds the Guinness World Record for the longest name.
It translates into English as "The brow of the hill where Tamatea, with the bony knees, who slid and climbed mountains, the great traveller, sat and played on the flute to his beloved."
Again, that's neat.
But someone in Thailand is angry!
Their village is called:
Krungthepmahanakornamornratanakosin-mahintarayutthayamahadilokphopnopparatrajathani-buriromudomrajaniwesmahasatharnamornphimarn-avatarnsathitsakkattiyavisanukamprasit
It's a whopping 163 letters long, and translates into English as "City of Angels."
Imagine if that was how we said Los Angeles?
If Thai replaced Spanish as the dominant influence in Southern California:
"Hey guys, Sarah French is in Krungthepmahanakornamornratanakosin-mahintarayutthayamahadilokphopnopparatrajathani-buriromudomrajaniwesmahasatharnamornphimarn-avatarnsathitsakkattiyavisanukamprasit right now, but she can't send a postcard because the postage for the 12-foot long card that fits the name on it costs $318.97"
It's also the "official" name for the city of Bangkok, but the reason why the Guinness Book won't recognize it as the longest name is because it's not used on a daily basis by the locals.
There's also apparently a name for a chemical compound that is 1913 letters long, but that was the most information I could get on it.
I guess you can make up anything if you just throw a bunch of random prefixes and suffixes onto something.
Neat.

3 comments:

David Almeida said...

I think I have a problem with supercalifragilisticexpialidocious being a word in the dictionary. Doesn't language evolve based on usage? I find it hard to believe that word has permeated our vernacular and is in such wide use that it earned a place in the dictionary.

And it wasn't all that good a song in the movie. Have you heard the stage version? Have I sung them for you enough? I love how they made it into lesson on the history of language:

"When trying to express oneself
It's frankly quite absurd
To leaf through lengthy lexicons
To find the perfect word
A little spontaneity
Keeps conversation keen
You need to find a way to say
Precisely what you mean

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
Even though the sound of it
Is something quite atrocious
If you say it loud enough
You'll always sound precocious
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

When stone age men were chatting
Simply grunting would suffice
Now if they'd heard this word
They might have used it once or twice
I'm sure Egyptian Pharoahs
Would have grasped it in a jif'
Then every single pyramid
Would bear this heiroglyph:

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
Etc.

The druids could have carved it
On their mighty monoliths
The ancient Greeks I'm certain
Would have used it in their myths
I'm sure the Roman Empire
Only entered the abyss
Because those Latin scholars
Never heard a word like this:

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious etc.

So when the cat has got your tongue
There's no need for dismay
Just summon up this word
And then you've got a lot to say
Pick out those 18 consonants
And 16 vowels as well
And put them in an order
That is really hard to spell..."

Alyson said...

Once they put "bootylicious" in the dictionary, I gave up all hope for the sanctity of the English language.

tm said...

The Remix:
(Thanks for that reference, Alyson)

I was going to add to the original post, but I figured it would be easier to just put it in the comments.

Okay, so as I was reflecting on what I had written I came up with a few things:

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
(I think I finally learned how to pronounce it! Yay!)

Do you see that? First, not counting the Ys as vowels, there are 14 consonants in a row.
ummm, I'd like to buy a vowel please, Pat, thanks.

Also, why do you have to have 4 Ls in a row? Wouldn't just one or two suffice? But hey, this comes from the country that brought us the name Lloyd...goddamned superfluous consonants.

Then I had a Finding Nemo moment with the New Zealand village description (this was funny in my own head anyway, what do you think?):

PERSON 1: I'm from the brow of the hill where Tamatea, with the bony knees, who slid and climbed mountains, the great traveller, sat and played on the flute to his beloved, where are you from?

PERSON 2: Oh, I'm from the brow of the hill where Tamatea, with the bony knees, who slid and climbed mountains, the great traveller, sat and played on the flute to his beloved, too.

PERSON 1: Really? No way! Let's go back to the brow of the hill where Tamatea, with the bony knees, who slid and climbed mountains, the great traveller, sat and played on the flute to his beloved.

PERSON 2: Okay. It's been a while since I've back to the brow of the hill where Tamatea, with the bony knees, who slid and climbed mountains, the great traveller, sat and played on the flute to his beloved.