27 August 2005

Gullible's Travels, Part I: I Drove All Night

...to get to Steven.
Now I know how Cyndi Lauper and Celine Dion feel.
There's actually not much to note about the first leg of the trip, other than my own insanity at driving overnight.
As I predicted, I drove 600+ miles to Greensboro, NC.
I left Orlando at about 2330 hrs on Sunday night.
My road trip driving style, especially at night, is to just go.
No stopping.
At all.
Just for gas.
Then you go tinky and get snacks at the gas station.
So I only stopped twice.
The first time in Georgia, the second in a small town called Welcome, NC, doesn't that sound friendly?
I made great time.
I set the cruise control at 7 mph over the speed limit and made it to the Winston-Salem/Greensboro/High Point Piedmont Triad (say that 10 times fast!...is Winston-Salem one city, or two hyphenated? Are they calling 4 cities a triad?) in just about 8 hours, which was a couple of hours faster than I had planned.
I didn't use the DVD player on the way up, because I had a marathon singing session instead, as I so often do on trips such as this.
If I can say nothing else about having taken dozens upon dozens of long-distance road trips in my life, it's that I have exponentially increased my vocal stamina and endurance.
I can full-on sing for 5, 6, 7 hours at a time and still belt high A's and B's.
So I got to Greensboro early and had time to kill waiting for Steven to arrive, so I went to the Greensboro Four Seasons Town Centre Mall. (They like to name things with a lot of words.)
It's a big huge mall on 3 floors.
Neat.
Then I picked up Steven and we drove to Roanoke, stopping in Collinsville, VA, for breakfast at Burger King.
So I guess in Virginia they don't have a "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service" policy because the dirty little redneck chirren had their grubby little feet all over the place and not a one of them had a shirt on.
Also, not only do they allow smoking inside, but they don't seem to bother separating or designating different sections for smokers/non-smokers.
That's yucktastic.
So we ate fast, and left quickly.
Then we got to Tim and Brenda's new house, which is lovely, see?
This is the street they live on:

And there's Peppermint Patty in the driveway:


The rest of the day was spent catching up, relaxing, eating food, napping, all the good stuff.

Then to cap off the night, we all played one of the best games known to mankind: Cranium™©®

Could there be anything more fun? I think not. But tomorrow is another day, and new adventures await.

To be continued...

No comments: