22 June 2005

13 Years Later...

As I sit here in the office, watching MTVs season premiere of the Real World: Austin, I realize I am getting old. Some of you may be like, "Shut the fuck up, you're still in your 20s!" But you're not watching the Real World. I grew up with this show, from the time where I was YEARS too young to be on the show when it premiered in New York, through the years when it was no longer cool to watch it. Now I am approaching being 4 years too old to be on the show, and I understand why. I sit there staring at the screen, slack-jawed, saying to myself, "These people are freakin' IDIOTS!!!" It's insane. I'm sure part of the problem is that the show has skewed far from its original premise of bringing 7 strangers (of a wide variety of backgrounds) together to live and work in one place for a specified time, to see what might happen. Now the show is more like, "Let's put 7 alcoholic hard-bodies under one roof and see how long it takes for them to have sex and/or fight with each other." Oh, look, roommates making out AND a big fight, and we're only 20 minutes in to the season premiere! Big surprise! Pardon me while I change the station now...

1 comment:

ChrissyLou said...

Wow. I had the same reaction to the VH1 Reality Shows I watched the other day.

Old.