26 October 2006

Milestone 100

So, it only took almost a year and a half, but this is my 100th post!

Wheeeeeeeeee!

And, true, I haven't had even one single comment in 4 months, which means that nobody reads this anymore. But that's okay, because I do this mostly for myself anyway. Sure, I like to entertain others, and it is a little disheartening to know that a severe bout of laziness has caused me to lose my previous readership, but I had just gotten to a point where it felt like more of a chore to create a post every day. Plus, everyone else in my little blog-circle either stopped blogging altogether, or they switched their blogs over to MySpace.

Earlier this year, I broke down. I caved in to the peer pressure. I jumped on the bandwagon and joined MySpace as well. I have, however, vowed to keep my blog here at Blogger. So, to compromise, every time I create a post here, I link to it on my MySpace blog. It seems that that move not only caused me to lose my readers here, but also out of the 64 people on my friends list on MySpace I only have 3 people subscribed to my blog there. (Love ya David, Marcie, and random guy I don't know!)

Anyway, a few noteworthy things happened today that I would like to either remember for the future, or just to make fun of generally.

First, this morning, I was watching The View, as every good little gay should do, now that Rosie is back on TV. She has brought such a new life to the show that now it's actually watchable. So, for anyone who may not know, The View's magic formula is 4 women co-hosting. The three regular co-hosts are Rosie O'Donnell, Elizabeth Hasselbeck, and Joy Behar. Barbara Walters only shows up every now and then, basically whenever she wants to, so when she's not there, they get some random celebrity to fill in as the 4th host. All this to say that today they must have been scraping the bottom of the barrel, because Tara Reid was the celebrity guest host. WTF? They could not possibly have thought that she would have anything interesting or intelligent to say. While Rosie and Joy were comparing notes on hosting charity events the previous evening (each one raking in over $2 million for their respective charities), Tara interjects with something along the lines of, "I attended a charity event last night. For AIDS research. It was called Hope for a Cause." She called it Hope for a Cause at least twice before Rosie corrected her. It's called Hope for a CURE, you stupid little retard. (No, Rosie didn't say that; that was my own editorial, and slightly borrowed from Drop Dead Gorgeous...)

Moving right along...

Back in January, Steven and I went to Sydney. In our travels, we came across this trash can in a mall:

so I said, "That's you! You're General Rubbish!"
We had a good laugh with that. Marcie decided that she really liked that nickname for Steven too, so I thought it might be fun for everyone to have a "General" nickname.
Kevin is General Mayhem.
I can't remember what name we came up with for Marcie, so I'll have to update that later.
I'm General Hospital.
I came up with General Malaise for David, but I don't think he likes that one.
Anyway, all the cool kids are going to be Generals, so I've got a few more names to come up with.

***UPDATE: Marcie is General Consternation. I can't believe I forgot that. It's funny!!!

Finally, I learned something new today! I feel the need to write it down, because I may forget later, or tomorrow. Who says fiction can't be educational? That's what I want to know! I finished reading Digital Fortress by Dan Brown today. In case you haven't read anything of his, he's the author of 4 books including The Da Vinci Code. I've read all 4 books, although I read them in reverse order chronologically. Digital Fortress was his first book. His books are pretty formulaic, so if you're looking for variety, this may not be the author to turn to. But, in my humble opinion, Dan Brown really is a fantastic author. Formula or no, he knows how to grab your attention right away. His books are all extremely fast-paced, action-packed, and exciting the whole way through. I'm looking forward to a new release.

Anyway, on to the education. A character in Digital Fortress is a linguist and a Spanish professor. I consider myself fairly fluent in Spanish, but I had never made this connection before. He tells his girlfriend about how the word "sincerely" comes from the Spanish words "sin cera" which means "without wax." It refers to sculpture; where a flawed, chipped, or cracked stone would be filled in with wax to make it whole. So if a piece was "sin cera," or without wax, that meant it was unflawed. It later came to mean "true" or "honest," thus the English word "sincere" was born.

I was thinking about it a lot today, and I decided that "Without Wax" would be a great album title. So maybe some day if I can wrangle myself a record deal, I already have the title to an album!

1 comment:

David Almeida said...

I still read you. And I appreciate that you list my name in purple. :)
General Malaise is OK, it just doesn't rock my world. I'll stick with copying the geeky little assistant to South Park's Professor Chaos: GENERAL DISARRAY.
- With My Utmost Non-Waxity,
David